Font is a monthly online magazine that spotlights compelling and innovative English-language literary activity from across Quebec. The publication serves to create professional opportunities for new and early-career writers, performers, storytellers, translators, publishers, arts workers, partners, and other leaders working in English and other minority languages.
Font thrives in a spirit of curiosity and commitment. It aims to support writer development across Quebec in several ways. Font is:
- Creating and maintaining a professional platform for new English and minority-language literary works from Quebec to be shared and promoted regionally, nationally, and internationally.
- Celebrating the specific, multiple, and diverse cultures across Quebec by spotlighting literary communities and projects outside the urban centres and mainstream literary culture.
- Supporting and promoting writer development by offering professional creative and editorial support to new and early-career literary artists.
- Working with numerous style guides to offer editorial support that respects literary and artistic voices existing outside Canadian English or other colonial standards.
- Paying new and early-career literary artists for their work, offering the validation of publication, and providing information and resources for writer development.
- Expanding horizons by encouraging and promoting work across all genres including poetry, prose, non-fiction, critical reflection, multimedia, film, audio, image, performance, and more.
- Committed to highlighting and upholding literary works from those who meet at many intersections, including Indigenous voices, people of colour, those living with disabilities, women, trans women and trans men, non-binary, Two-Spirit, genderqueer and gender non-conforming, and older emerging literary artists.
- Working with culturally-diverse leaders, partners, writers, translators, publishers, organizations, educational bodies, and arts workers supporting English and minority languages within and beyond the Montreal metropolis.
Font is published by Linda Leith Publishing.
Publisher: Linda Leith
Editor: Rachel McCrum
Copy Editor/Administrative Assistant: Edward He
Digital Marketing Coordinator/Digital Content Editor: Deanna Radford
Yara El Ghadban, Espace de la Diversité
Linda Leith, Linda Leith Publishing
Leila Marshy, Linda Leith Publishing
Rachel McCrum, Font
Lori Schubert, Quebec Writers’ Federation
Black Community Resource Centre
Espace de la Diversité
Heritage Lower St Lawrence
Quebec Writers’ Federation
Jardins de Métis
The Morrin Centre
Font acknowledges the settler colonial context it emerges from and is dedicated to learning and practising intersectional, decolonial approaches to publishing.
Font’s editorial team is situated in Montreal / Tio’tia:ke on the unceded lands of the Kanien’kehá:ka Nation. Font respects the continued connections with the past, present and future in our relationships with Indigenous and other peoples in communities within Montreal and Quebec. Font strives to carry this spirit of connection forward in its work and in helping to mark literary creations by people from multiple and divergent lived realities from across Quebec.
About Linda Leith Publishing
Linda Leith Publishing (LLP) is a small press specializing in literary fiction and non-fiction print and ebooks in English and in translation. The press also publishes in French as Linda Leith Éditions (LLÉ). Based in Montreal, LLP | LLÉ celebrated its 10th anniversary in June 2021. The press has hosted a bilingual forum of opinion, Salon.ll., from the outset, launched a series of books for young people under the ruelle imprint in 2019, and created the online magazine Font in 2021.